Flint Settlement - FAQ
1. How much is the total Settlement for?
The State of Michigan has agreed to pay $625 Million dollars. The Claims Period began on January 12, 2022, and it ENDS on June 30, 2022.
2. How much money do I actually get from the settlement?
The amount you will receive depends on the number of people participating in the settlement. Until we know how many claims were timely submitted by May 12, 2022, it is impossible to know exactly what each person will receive. However, the following breakdown will be applied to the categories of claimants:
- Children who were under the age of 18 during the crisis will receive 79.5% of the fund as follows: (a) 64.5 % will go to kids that were 6 or younger at first exposure to Flint Water; (b) 10% for ages 7-11; and 5% for ages 12-17.
- Adults with personal injuries will receive 15% of the fund.
- Adults with property damage will receive 3% of the fund.
- Businesses with economic loss will receive .5% of the fund.
- There will be programmatic relief in the amount of 2% of the fund
3. How do I get my money?
You must submit a claim by the deadline of May 12, 2022. If you do not submit a claim form and supporting documentation by the deadline, you will not get money from the settlement. We will do this for you as your lawyers – BUT we need you to sign your claim and send us the supporting documents we request.
4. How do children get paid?
Under Michigan law, any child receiving more than a certain amount must go through certain procedures in order to be awarded money. Those procedures will be in place and parents/guardians will be able to make informed choices for their kids.
5. Do I have to participate?
No. Neither you nor your children have to participate. However, having helped create the settlement with you and your children in mind, we strongly recommend you do participate.
6. What do I do now?
If you are a client of our firm (Levy Konigsberg LLP), and you are contacted by us, please make sure to respond. If we contact you, it is because we are missing either a signature or a document. We need your cooperation so that we can process your case and obtain settlement funds as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact us by calling us at 1-866-LEAD123 (1-866-532-3123) or stop by our Flint office at 2387 South Linden Road, #108, Flint, MI 48532.